Bannock’s Arcadian Court Chicken Pot Pie
2 – 2.5 lbs organic chicken, quartered and seasoned with salt and pepper
2L low sodium chicken stock
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1.5 cup onion, diced
¾ cup sweet peas, blanched
2 bay leaves
1 sprig of thyme
½ tbsp truffle oil (optional)
1.5 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
Fresh dill, tarragon and parsley to taste (optional)
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
5 tbsp unsalted butter
400ml low sodium chicken stock
225ml 35% cream
2 sheets puff pastry
1 beaten egg for egg wash
- Place the seasoned chicken into a medium-sized pot. Cover with the chicken stock, bring to a boil then simmer for five minutes. Remove the pot from heat and skim the excess foam and fat that has floated to the top.
- Add the herbs and vegetables, except for the sweet peas, to the chicken pot. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes. At this point, remove the chicken breasts and set aside to cool. Continue to cook the chicken legs for an additional five to 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken legs and set aside with the breasts to cool. Strain the vegetables and discard the herbs from the stock and set aside separately.
- Discard the skin and bones from the legs and breasts. Pick the meat from the bones, keeping the meat in clean bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot over low heat, melt the butter. Add the vegetables to the pot and stir gently. Add the flour (while stirring) and continue to cook for two minutes over low heat. Little by little, add the 400 ml of the chicken stock into the flour and vegetable mixture, stirring to incorporate well. Once incorporated, add the 35% cream, Dijon mustard and truffle oil. Check the seasoning – it should be quite tasty!
- Add the chicken, the sweet peas as well as a dash of lemon. Check the seasoning again. Cover lightly and place in the fridge to chill.
- Using an appropriate ovenproof low-sided casserole dish, place the finished pot pie mix into it. Working quickly, roll out the chilled puff pastry to be approximately half a centimeter in thickness, and large enough to give you a two centimeter lip for sealing.
- Egg wash the edge of the puff pastry and place over the casserole, with the egg wash side down. Press the edges of the pastry well against the casserole to form a seal. Prior to baking, egg wash the top as well. Bake at 375° F for 25-30 minutes.